went to London
'm gonna see Wicked!
'm so F happy!
The celebrity photographer and artist David LaChapelle had always wanted to take a portrait of Michael Jackson, and nearly did: several shoots were lined up and cancelled as Jackson grew increasingly wary. “Photographers weren’t nice to him,” says LaChapelle. “He got scared.” After Jackson’s death LaChapelle decided to pay tribute, photographing a young lookalike in Hawaii, just outside his own home: a 25-acre ranch on the coast, three hours from the nearest shop. He moved there three years ago, turning his back on lucrative contracts with Vanity Fair, Italian Vogue and Rolling Stone. The “devil” in red is a friend who performs in the Cirque du Soleil. The image forms part of a trilogy inspired by Mexican saint cards. LaChapelle is convinced that Jackson was innocent of paedophilia.
- a little truth behind every “just kidding”
- a little curiosity behind every “just wondering”
- a little knowledge behind every “I don’t know”
- a little emotion behind every “I don’t care”
- a little hesitation behind every “sure, why not”
- a little pain behind every “it’s okay”
Stop. Just stop it. Today is the day. The moment is this one. Ignore the noise and people around you. Ignore the phone. Ignore black coffee. Ignore the clock.
The time to start being the person you always wanted to be is right now.”